Developing Periodisation Methods in Individual Sports – Term Paper Example

Download full paperFile format: .doc, available for editing

The paper "Developing Periodisation Methods in Individual Sports" is a brilliant example of a term paper on sports and recreation. The paper focuses on creating a sport-specific periodized training program for a 100 m or 200 m sprinter. Traditional periodization is an extensively established process used to structure training programs for generating maximum performance at a given and appropriate time. Such a periodization may be defined as the process to create a training session for a year into various phases. Further, each of these phases has different aims that focus on developing the overall performance of the athletes (Baker, Wilson and Carlyon 1994). The general period for preparation is the period that is characterized by the volume of training that is able to put working capacity, preparation of general physical as well as improving technical aspects with the basic tactical skills.

The focus would be mainly for developing a high level of conditioning which is physical for facilitating training in the future and also to protect the athlete’ s CNS or central nervous system from being shelled from training which is high-intensity in the later stages for the training program.

Some of the special preparation period which is to do with the transitioning phase through the gross movements for disserting movements in sports. The phase uses aerobic movement which is high level i. e. 70-80% some of the moments are specific exercises that are related to technical or skills patterns. Perfecting and improving technique, as well as tactics various, have been the main goal for the sub-phase (Fry, Morton and Keast 1992). In the phase of competitive period, one of the main tasks has to be for consolidating the training factors that allow the athlete for competing successfully in the competition.

In this phase, nearly 90% of the movement is direction oriented which is related focussed on sport-specific movements when the rest 10% is to deal with indirect action i. e. gross motor work or general conditioning. A transition period is a phase that is characterized by non-competitive activities. In this phase, it is important that muscular fatigue should disappear in a span of a week with a highly trained athlete. CNS fatigue could remain for a longer time period.

In this phase, it incorporates some kind of rehabilitation for allowing recovery from injuries, regeneration which includes massage, health spas as well as psychological relaxation (Haff 2004). The change in the volume and intensity are close to being wave-like and with the increase in the workloads throughout the phase it increases the stress as well. With the high volume, the intensity would be low with the exception of being in a brief time with a specific period when there is a relatively high level for volume and intensity.  

Download full paperFile format: .doc, available for editing
Contact Us