Dyslexia as Major and Multivariant Learning Disability – Dissertation Example

Download full paperFile format: .doc, available for editing

The ultimate goal of education is the transference of ideas and skills from one individual to another individual or group. Education systems have always battled issues of techniques and methods leading to researches and legal provisions for improvement of education structure globally. The education system in the UK is based on free and compulsory education to all children until the age of 16. The national curriculum introduced in 1992 is followed by the all-state schools providing instructions in core subjects of English, Mathematics, Science, Design and Technology, Information and communication technology (ICT), History, Geography, Modern foreign languages, Music, Art and Design, Physical education and Citizenship along with religious education as compulsory subject.

Independent schools follow their own curriculum, however, students in these schools form a small group with only 10% attending the non-funded schools; the rest 90% attending public-funded schools. Besides the National curriculum, The Education and Skills Act (2008) has raised the age for compulsory education to 18, is effective in 2013 for 17-year-old students and in 2015 for 18-year-old students. Primary education in the UK may either be provided as a combined junior and infant school lasting six years or in two stages comprising of two years of infant school, followed by four years of junior school.

Secondary education starts from 11 years of age to a minimum of 16 years. Higher education is provided by the autonomous universities, colleges, and other institutions that are empowered by The Royal Charter or an Act of parliament (British Council, 2011).   Provisions for special needs education in the UK are made in accordance with Education Act 1996, which ensures that all students irrespective of their disability have a right of access to broad and balanced curriculum that allows pace and style suited to the learning needs of the differently-abled students.

Download full paperFile format: .doc, available for editing
Contact Us